Ginger Turmeric Lemonade
Ginger Turmeric Lemonade – The ultimate refreshing summer drink with a delightful, exotic taste!
This anti-inflammatory lemonade has healing properties by using fresh turmeric and ginger, alongside lemongrass stalks and lemon juice. It’s cooling, invigorating, energizing, and thirst-quenching with the perfect balance of sweet, tart and spicy.
You start by boiling 1 cup of water with turmeric, ginger, lemongrass and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Afterward, you simply mix the strained liquid with lemon juice, honey and still or sparkling water, add ice and enjoy it! Depending on the tartness of your lemons, you may want to add more honey.
In the winter, I serve this lemonade hot. The preparation method is the same but I let it steep for about 20/30 minutes before straining.
Ginger makes the lemonade slightly spicy and turmeric adds color. Please be careful as turmeric has a very strong yellow pigment that tends to dye everything it comes in contact with.
Try this bright and cheerful ginger turmeric lemonade at your next party or barbeque and let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram!
HOW TO MAKE IT: Ginger Turmeric Lemonade
- 4 cups (950 g) water divided
- 1 piece (about 2 inches) of fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 piece (about 2 inches) of fresh turmeric peeled and sliced
- 3 lemongrass stalks outer leaves removed and cut into 3 to 4 inches pieces lengthwise
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoon organic raw honey plus more as needed. Use maple syrup for the vegan version
- the juice of 2 lemons
- Add the ginger, turmeric, lemongrass, and black pepper to a small saucepan with one cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a large pitcher and discard the solids.
- Let it cool then add the remaining water, lemon juice, and honey and mix to combine. Taste and add more honey if desired.
- Serve the lemonade over ice!