Creamy Italian Hot Chocolate Mix
This Italian hot chocolate mix is made with a blend of semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder for an intense, decadent flavor and a creamy texture.
As the weather turns cold and raw, there’s nothing cozier than curling up next to the fireplace with a steaming mug of hot chocolate.
But this isn’t your typical hot chocolate from a pouch, which often turns out thin and watery. This recipe is extra decadent because it’s made with a secret ingredient: cornstarch. It sounds unconventional, but this little addition makes the hot chocolate extra thick and creamy.
I like to use semi-sweet chocolate in this recipe (with a cacao content of 60%) to make it extra smooth and rich. You can also use milk chocolate or bittersweet if you’d prefer; as long as it’s good-quality, it’ll be delicious!
This homemade hot chocolate is so indulgent, no one will believe that the mix is super easy to make! All you have to do is blend four ingredients in a food processor, and you’ll be good to go. When you’re ready for a comforting mug of chocolatey goodness, just whisk three tablespoons of the powder with 150 ml of milk as you heat it in a saucepan. And believe it or not, a mug of this delicious drink contains a lot less calories than you’d think!
If you’re in the mood to try something different, you can also add different things to garnish your mug of hot chocolate. I love adding cinnamon for holiday spice, or even a touch of cayenne for an extra kick. But if you really want to have fun with this recipe, try spiking it! Pour in a shot of Baileys, Frangelico, Grand Marnier, or rum for a drink that’ll make you feel extra toasty on a frigid day!
Whether you drink it plain, spiced, or spiked, you have to top it with a dollop of whipped cream and/or a cluster of marshmallows. Finish with a dusting of cinnamon or sprinkles, and you have a dessert drink that’s as beautiful as it is delicious.
Make a batch of Italian hot chocolate mix and wrap it in jars with festive ribbons to give as hostess gifts or stocking stuffers this holiday season. All your recipients will want to know how you made the best hot chocolate they’ve ever tasted!
If you give this Italian hot chocolate mix a try, let me know what you think. Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!
How To Make It: Creamy Italian Hot Chocolate Mix
For the Italian hot chocolate mix:
- 6.35 oz. (180 g) semi-sweet chocolate 60%
- ¾ cup (85 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup+1 tablespoon (38 g) cornstarch
For 1 mug of hot chocolate:
- ⅔ cup (150 ml) milk I used skim milk
- 3 tablespoons hot chocolate mix
- Toppings (optional) : whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate shavings, cinnamon powder, unsweetened cocoa powder
For the hot chocolate mix:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until powdery.
For the hot chocolate:
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix and cook, stirring continuously, until the the mixture reaches the desired thickness.
- Transfer the hot chocolate to a mug, top with whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder.
- Hot chocolate mix can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
Can I add milk powder instead of milk and if so how much? I want to make this as a gift for a colleague. Will it still be as rich??
I haven’t tried that. You could attach a tag with the instructions on how to use it.
This looks amazing! I LOVE Italian-style hot chocolate and the idea to add in shaved chocolate is so smart!
Thank you Valentina! :)