Baked Hasselback Potatoes
If you’ve never tried Baked Hasselback Potatoes, you’re missing out!
A Hasselback potato is simply a baked potato, except that the potato is cut into very thin slices almost down to the bottom.
These baked Hasselback potatoes look like they are difficult to make, but in fact, they’re incredibly simple.
You start by cutting a layer off of the bottom of each potato, just enough so they don’t roll. Then you cut slits across the potatoes with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut all the way through.
To cut the potato perfectly take two wooden spoons or two chopsticks and place them either side of the potato, so you don’t accidentally cut too far.
Brush the potatoes with a mixture of olive oil, garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, making sure it gets in between the slices.
The result is baked Hasselback potatoes crispy and golden on the outside, soft, creamy and loaded with flavor on the inside.
There are a million variations you can try: with parmesan cheese, chives and sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, crumbled feta cheese and spring onions, etc.
I love serving these baked Hasselback potatoes when we have guests, I always get lots of compliments!
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!
These Baked Hasselback Potatoes are an easy side dish or appetizer perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or holiday entertaining!
- 4 medium potatoes wash them well
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped + extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest grated
- sea salt I used my rosmary-lemon se salt
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (428 degrees F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice a thin layer off the base of the potatoes so they will not roll around.
- Place a potato on a work surface with the cut side down. With a sharp knife cut thin vertical slices from one end to the other, being careful not to cut all the way through. You can place wooden spoons or chopsticks on either side of the potato to keep your knife from slicing through.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, lemon zest and garlic.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and brush them all over with the infused oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush all over with the olive oil mixture, separating the slices slightly with a knife to get some of the mixture between the slices.
- Put them back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Brush the potatoes with the remaining oil, sprinkle generously with sea salt and return them to the oven for 20/30 minutes or until crisp and golden on the exterior and soft on the inside.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the baked Hasselback potatoes with chopped rosemary and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!