Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
These crispy baked sweet potato fries are easy to make, healthier than the fried version, and incredibly tasty!
Simply cut the sweet potato into fries, toss them with some cornstarch, olive oil and seasonings, then bake for 30 minutes. I seasoned them with garlic powder, dried oregano, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper, this spicy mixture is perfect with the sweetness of the potatoes. Feel free to experiment with other spices or herbs that you prefer!
There are a few tricks which make baked sweet potato fries crispy on the outside and tender on the inside:
- Soak the fries in water for about an hour to remove excess starch.
- Toss them with corn flour, it helps to absorb extra moisture.
- Place the fries spaced apart from each other, don’t overcrowd the tray.
If you have an extra 30 minutes, turn the oven off and let the fries sit in the oven with the door ajar
Serve the baked sweet potato fries as a side dish, appetizer or snack. They are so good that I recommend you to double or triple the recipe!
These crispy baked sweet potato fries are easy to make, healthier than the fried version, and incredibly tasty! Just 8 ingredients and 30 minutes required.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into fries that are 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water, add the fries, and let them soak for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes and cornstarch in a large zip lock bag, and shake vigorously to coat the fries.
- Put the sweet potato fries in a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Use your hands to mix everything together thoroughly, then spread the fries in a single even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Remember not to overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 25-30 minutes, turing them halfway.
- Turn off the oven and let the crispy baked sweet potato fries to cool for 30 minutes with the door ajar.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with sea salt, and serve.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!