Savory Pumpkin Hummus
If you have pumpkin puree on hand, whip up a batch of this savory pumpkin hummus. Pair it with pita bread, crackers, or veggie sticks and you have a delicious snack or appetizer ready in no time.
Classic hummus is made with chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. But did you know that you can add different ingredients and have a new flavor every time? After making roasted beetroot hummus and avocado lime hummus, I wanted to give a fall twist to the classic dip.
Pumpkin hummus is healthy, creamy, smooth, and tasty. Paprika, cinnamon, and pumpkin puree add lots of flavor.
The recipe is super easy. It comes together in less than 5 minutes with 10 basic ingredients. You literally just add all the ingredients to your food processor, pulse and … done! Be sure to scrape down the sides a few times.
Tahini is a sesame paste and you can usually find it in the ethnic section of your supermarket. Make sure that you use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
I like to serve this savory pumpkin hummus topped with sesame seeds, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil along with some homemade toasted pitas for dipping. You can also serve it with tortilla chips, pita chips, whole wheat pita bread, crackers, vegetables, or use it as a spread on sandwiches and wraps.
For the pita chips, I cut pita bread into triangles, brush them with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle with a mixture of paprika, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Then I bake them at 220 degrees C (425 degrees F) for about 8-10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
This recipe makes a medium bowl of pumpkin hummus, about 8 portions. Serve it immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!
Savory Pumpkin Hummus
- 1 can (14 oz.-400 g) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup (150 g) pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon juiced (2 tablespoons)
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- water if needed
- To garnish (optional) : chopped parsley, sesame seeds, paprika, extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add more olive oil or water if it’s too thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Place the savory pumpkin hummus in a shallow bowl, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, garnish with sesame seeds, chopped parsley and paprika.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.