Homemade Whole Wheat Pita Bread
This homemade whole wheat pita bread is super easy to make, soft, chewy and the flavor is just so good!
The dough is made with basic ingredients (flour, water, salt, oil, honey and yeast) then rolled thin and baked at a high temperature. As it bakes, it will puff up and create a pocket perfect for filling.
To get puffy homemade whole wheat pita bread make sure that :
– The dough is soft, smooth but hold its shape. Add more flour only if the dough is too sticky.
– The oven is very hot
– You use a preheated tray or pizza stone for baking
– You don’t open the oven for the first 4 minutes.
Pita bread is best consumed fresh out-of-the-oven but you can also keep in an airtight bag at room temperature for a couple of days or freeze it and pull it out for quick meals! Another option is to keep the dough in the fridge for up to 1 week and bake as needed.
If you’ve never tried making your own pita bread at home, give it a try. You’ll never be able to go back to store bought pitas again! Enjoy!
Homemade whole wheat pita bread: serve it with hummus or fill it up with whatever you prefer. Super easy to make, soft, chewy and so good!
- 240 ml (1 cup) lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 180 grams (1 1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
- 160 grams (1 1/4 cup+1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour + extra if needed
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix the water, honey and yeast together and let it sit for about five minutes.
- Add the flours, salt, olive oil and mix for a couple of minutes, until it comes together.
- Sprinkle a little bit of flour onto your clean work surface and turn out the dough.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, until it's smooth and elastic. adding more flour only if necessary.
- Make a ball
- and place it into an oiled bowl, cover it, and allow to rest until doubled, about an hour.
- Gently deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide it into 9 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a circle about 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick. Lift and turn the dough frequently as you roll to make sure it isn't sticking to your counter. Sprinkle with a little extra flour if it starts to stick.
- Cover the circles with plastic wrap or a clean damp cloth.
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C (450 degrees F) and place a baking stone or a baking sheet on the middle rack.
- When the oven is ready, transfer 3 pitas at a time ( or more if your oven is big) onto the baking surface and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the pitas balloon fully.
- Remove the bread from the oven and repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
- Allow the homemade whole wheat pita bread to cool and serve as desired.
Prep time doesn't include rest time
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!