Healthy Mexican Baked Sweet Potatoes
If you enjoy baked potatoes than you will definitely love these healthy Mexican baked sweet potatoes.
Baked sweet potatoes are filled with black beans, corn, pepper; topped with lime-infused sour cream and sprinkled with chopped cilantro. I loved how the sweetness of the potatoes is balanced out by the spicy filling!
Sweet potatoes are packed with important nutrients: beta-carotene, vitamin A, C and potassium. They are also a great source of fiber and complex carbohydrate.
It’s a very easy recipe to throw together but the potatoes take about 1 hour to cook, depending on the size. It’s time well spent when you taste them! :) If possible, buy sweet potatoes that are a uniform size so they cook evenly.
If you are in a rush you can speed that up by cooking them in the microwave, which takes about 8-10 minutes.
Pair a baked potato with a simple salad, and you have a delicious, filling and healthy meal! These Mexican baked sweet potatoes are also a great option for vegetarians and vegans (omit the sour cream or use vegan sour cream).
More Delicious Potato Recipes
How To Make It: Healthy Mexican Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- ¾ cup (140 g) canned corn rinsed and patted dry
- ½ cup (130 g) canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over them and rub the oil all over with your hands.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes.
- Prepare the seasoning:
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients.
- Prepare the filling:
- About 20 minutes before the potatoes come out of the oven, place a large skillet over high heat.
- Put the corn in the skillet, sprinkle with seasoning and let the corn roast for about 10 minutes,stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In the same skillet add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the bell pepper, onion, sprinkle with the seasoning mix and sauté until soft.
- In a large bowl mix together the corn, black beans, onion and pepper.
- Prepare the toppings:
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream with the lime zest and juice. Set aside.
- Assemble the potatoes:
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven when fork-tender and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut a slit down the middle of each one and squeeze the ends to open.
- Fill each potato with a generous amount of filling, top with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve the healthy Mexican baked sweet potatoes warm.
Great photo and awesome recipe!!!
Thank you very much Jessica!
So pretty and healthy! Gorgeous, gorgeous styling too!
Thank you Kellie! :)