Healthy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Cauliflower mashed potatoes are a creamy, delicious, and healthy alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
Mashed cauliflower doesn’t taste exactly like mashed potatoes, but it’s amazing and has the same silky texture.
The recipe is super easy, you only need 5 ingredients, an immersion blender and 15 minutes. Simply boil the cauliflower and garlic until soft, drain, add the remaining ingredients and blend with a hand blender or food processor until fluffy and smooth. If you have time, you could roast the cauliflower and garlic instead of boiling them for extra flavor.
After draining the cauliflower, return it back to the hot pan and let it stand for 2 to 3 minutes with the lid on. The cauliflower needs to be fairly dry otherwise you’ll end up with runny “mashed potatoes”.
I garnished the mashed cauliflower with thyme, homemade flavored salt, freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Feel free to add your own twist to it: spices, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan, spinach, chives, parsley….The options are endless!
Cauliflower mashed potatoes can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
These low calorie, low carbs cauliflower mashed potatoes will quickly become your favorite side dish!
Healthy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes - A creamy, delicious, gluten free, low carb, paleo and vegan alternative to mashed potatoes.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (3 lbs / 1.3 Kg) trimmed and cut into florets
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For garnish: chopped fresh thyme, extra virgin olive oil, homemade flavored salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the cauliflower and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender. Drain, return it back to the hot pan and let it stand for 2 to 3 minutes with the lid on.
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor, add the olive oil, salt and pepper and purée until smooth. (You can also use a potato masher or hand blender).
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.
- *You can store the cauliflower mashed potatoes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!