Crispy Breaded Chicken Breast (Baked!)
A quick and easy dinner recipe everyone will love!
Crunchy and golden on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside, these crispy baked chicken breasts are way better than the fried version. And, of course, healthier!
Ready in less than 30 minutes, and perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table FAST!
Oven-baked panko breaded chicken
I like my chicken super crispy, and usually, that requires deep frying. But with panko breadcrumbs, you get crunchy golden chicken breast even if you bake them.
You can make several batches ahead of time and freeze them. They’re perfect for nights when you are out of groceries, or when you are just too tired to cook. Pull them out, bake them from frozen, and have dinner on the table in 20 minutes!
This baked fried chicken has quickly become a reader favorite around here. I’m not surprised, because it’s truly delicious!
Ingredients & substitution suggestions
- Chicken breast – choose boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can also make this recipe with chicken tenders and cutlets or cut the chicken breast into strips. Just remember that the cooking time will vary according to the size and thickness of the chicken.
- Flour – use all-purpose flour to coat the chicken.
- Egg – helps the breadcrumbs and seasoning stick to the chicken.
- Panko breadcrumbs – these Japanese breadcrumbs are extra crisp and add crunch to the breading. Find Panko online or in the grocery store with the other breadcrumbs or in the Asian food aisle.
- Seasoning – I used paprika, grated lemon zest, salt, and pepper but you can use any herbs and spices you like. For spicy chicken, add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Try dried parsley, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, or rosemary for a different flavor.
Stir a few tablespoons of finely grated parmesan cheese into the breadcrumb mixture if desired.
How to make baked breaded chicken
- Arrange your ingredients assembly-line style – it’s easier if you set things up in a straight line: raw chicken breasts, a shallow dish with flour+seasonings, a shallow dish with beaten egg, a shallow dish with breadcrumbs, then the baking sheet.
- Bread the chicken – dip the chicken in flour, egg, and then in the crispy panko breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess after each step.
- Bake – place the breaded chicken breast in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake until golden and crispy. Baking time depends on the thickness of your chicken breasts. Mine took about 22 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, I flipped them over and baked them for another 12 minutes.
- Garnish and serve – sprinkle with chopped parsley, garnish with lemon slices and serve warm.
When breading chicken breasts, try to keep one hand wet and one dry. This will help you from washing your hands multiple times during the process.
What to serve with breaded baked chicken
- Leftovers – this recipe is best enjoyed the day it is baked, but leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight storage container for 3-4 days.
- To reheat – reheat leftovers in the oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes or until heated through. This will help them get crispy again. You can also use an air fryer at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 3-5 minutes.
- To freeze – arrange unbaked breaded chicken breasts on a plate and freeze for at least 2 hours or until frozen solid. Remove them from the plate, place them in a large ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to bake, you can just add 5-10 extra minutes to the baking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Each chicken breast will get coated in flour, then egg, and lastly in panko breadcrumbs. Every step of the way, make sure to shake off the excess.
Cook time depends on the thickness of your chicken breast. If you’ve cut them relatively thin, they will cook much faster than a thicker cut. Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature is 165 °F (73.9 °C).
This breaded chicken is best enjoyed straight out of the oven, but you can make it ahead of time and freeze it too. Prepare the chicken and then freeze for up to 3 months. You can cook chicken breasts straight from frozen for an easy weeknight meal.
More easy chicken recipes
- Breaded Spinach Chicken Burgers
- 5 Ingredient Lemon Chicken
- Chicken Taco Bowl
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
If you make this recipe, please leave a feedback and rating in the comment section below. I always love hearing how it turns out for you! ♡
Crispy Breaded Chicken Breast (Baked!)
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast cut lengthwise
- ¾ cup (90 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup (80 g) Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- zest of 1 lemon grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- oil spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- lemon slices or lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees (220 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bread the chicken
- On a shallow plate, combine the flour, paprika, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Beat the egg on another shallow plate.
- Place the Panko breadcrumbs on a third shallow plate.
- Working one at a time, dredge the chicken breasts in flour, dip them into eggs, then dredge in panko, pressing to coat.
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and spray with oil on both sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn each piece over, and continue baking for an additional 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and slightly golden. Baking times vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts.
Garnish and serve
- Garnished the crispy baked chicken breasts with a slice of lemon and chopped parsley, if desired.