Chicken Taco Bowls
To make these chicken taco bowls, simply layer some rice, grilled peaches, roasted corn salsa, mashed avocado, and a sprinkle of Cotija cheese on top.
You only need 35 minutes to whip up these chicken taco bowls, making it perfect for busy weeknights or a quick lunch. They are healthy, easy, delicious, and have the most fantastic combination of Mexican and summer flavors.
Here’s how these bowls break down:
♦ Chicken → The chicken is marinated with a taco seasoning (I like to make my own using chili powder, cumin, paprika, chili flakes, minced garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper), and a drizzle of olive oil before going into the oven for 13/15 minutes. It’s so flavorful; I recommend making more than you need so you can use it for lunch on top of salads, as a filling for wraps, or freeze it for later.
♦ Roasted corn salsa → If you have time, make the salsa ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
♦ Grilled peaches → Grilling brings out the natural sweetness and gives a hint of smokiness. The recipe only needs two peaches, but you might as well grill a couple of extras. They are delicious as a dessert with honey or ice cream!
♦ Rice → I used plain white rice, but brown rice, quinoa, farro, or cilantro lime rice would taste great in these as well. If you want to make these chicken taco bowls even healthier, cauliflower rice is a tasty option too.
♦ Mashed avocado → I added mashed avocado for some healthy fats. Toss it in a bowl with a few tablespoons of lime or lemon juice to prevent from browning.
♦ Cotija cheese → Adds a salty, tangy flavor.
I know that the ingredient list looks scary, but I promise everything comes together so quickly. The first step is to marinate the chicken for 20 minutes or so. While it’s marinating grill the corn + peaches.
Then bake the chicken and cook the rice; this will take approximately 15 minutes. During this time prepare the corn salsa and mash the avocado.
Once your chicken and rice are cooked, it’s time to assemble the bowls: start with some rice, add the toppings, sprinkle some crumbled cotija cheese and chopped cilantro…and dinner is DONE!
Chicken taco bowls would also be perfect for meal prep. Layer all the ingredients except the avocado in 4 containers, store in the fridge, then grab and go.
Try this recipe for dinner tonight and let us know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram. We’d love to see what you come up with!
Chicken Taco Bowls with Grilled Peaches and Corn Salsa
For the chicken:
- 1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Grilled Peaches + Corn Salsa:
- 4 ears fresh corn husked and kernels cut from cob
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 jalapeño stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ red onion diced
- ⅓ cup (15 g) fresh cilantro chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- 2 peaches, halved + pits removed
- 2 cups (400 g) cooked basmati or jasmine rice
- 2 ripe avocados peeled and pitted
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 oz. (55 g) cotija cheese finely crumbled
- red pepper flakes
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).In a ziplock bag, combine the chicken strips with the spices and olive oil. Store in the fridge for about 20 minutes then bake for 13/15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Roasted Corn Salsa:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and let it cook, stirring occasionally until charred (about 8/10 minutes).Prepare the salsa. In a medium bowl, toss together the corn, jalapeño, lime juice, red onion, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the peaches with ½ tablespoon of olive oil, then grill until tender and char marks appear, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and set aside. When the peaches are cool enough to handle, slice them.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl. Stir in the lime juice and salt to taste.
Assemble the bowls:
- Divide the rice evenly between 4 bowls, top each bowl with chicken, peaches, corn salsa, mashed avocado, and crumbled cotija cheese.Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, red pepper flakes, and serve.
- You may use frozen (thawed) or canned corn