Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts roasted in the oven until crispy and caramelized, then drizzled with a touch of balsamic vinegar and honey just before serving. A quick, easy, and healthy side dish perfect for your Thanksgiving or Christmas table!
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
These oven-roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic and honey are super easy to prepare and make a terrific side dish alongside roast chicken, roast turkey, steak, or as part of a vegetarian dinner. Bonus: leftovers are delicious added to salads!
When they are cooked perfectly, sprouts are lightly charred and crispy on the outside and tender in the center. Also, roasting brings out their natural sweetness and nutty flavor.
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
To make this simple recipe, you only need a handful of ingredients:
- Fresh Brussels sprouts – Choose sprouts with tight, compact, vibrant green leaves. Any signs of yellowing mean they are most likely past their prime.
- Olive oil – or your preferred cooking oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Honey – or maple syrup
- Salt & freshly cracked black pepper
How to roast Brussels sprouts
Start off by tossing the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper until they are evenly coated.
Then spread the sprouts on a single layer, cut side down, and roast for 20 minutes or until caramelized.
Finish them off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and honey, and serve!
Tips for making the best roasted Brussels sprouts:
- Size – For even cooking, make sure they are all about the same size. Cut large Brussels sprouts into quarters.
- Oven temperature – High heat is essential to bring out the natural sugar in the vegetables and create a caramelized, crispy texture.
- Don’t line your baking sheet – Veggies have a much better chance of crisping up without parchment paper.
- Avoid overcrowding – Spread the Brussels sprouts on a single layer. If they’re too crowded on the tray, they’ll steam instead of roast. You may need to use multiple baking sheets.
- Flip them – Flip over the sprouts so that they are cut-side-down.
- Don’t throw the leaves that fall off – When you cut them in half, some of the outer leaves will come loose. Roast them with the Brussels sprouts; they will get extra charred and crispy, like chips.
- Be careful! – Keep an eye towards the end of baking time! Cooking time will vary based on the size of your sprouts.
Feel free to add extra flavoring to kick things up a notch. Topping suggestions:
- Fresh herbs: chopped rosemary, sage, cilantro, parsley, basil, thyme, or oregano
- Nuts: toasted hazelnuts, pecans, slivered almonds, or pine nuts
- Fruits: dried cranberries or fresh pomegranate arils
- Add some heat with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or a few drops of hot chili oil
- Cheese: grated parmesan, crumbled feta or blue cheese
Store: Place cooked Brussels sprouts in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Rewarm them in the oven at 175 degrees C (350 degrees F) for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Make-ahead: These are best served fresh and warm, and I don’t recommend making them in advance. However, you can trim and halve the sprouts ahead of time and store them in a sealed bag in the fridge.
If you make this easy recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I always love hearing how it turns out for you! ♡
More fall-inspired side dishes:
How To Make It: Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 1½ lbs. (680 g) Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Place the Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Arrange the sprouts in an even layer cut-sides down.
- Roast, stirring halfway through, until golden brown and tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and honey.
- Place the cooked Brussels sprouts in a bowl, drizzle with the balsamic/honey mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.