Spicy Grapefruit Jalapeño Margarita
Grapefruit Jalapeño Margarita – salty, spicy, sweet, cold, tart and absolutely refreshing!
If you have a party or gathering coming up, this spicy grapefruit jalapeño margarita is a crowd pleaser that’s super simple to put together, and you can easily triple or quadruple the recipe to make a large batch. The only ingredients you need are tequila, lime, grapefruit, agave nectar, jalapeño, kosher salt, chili powder, and ice.
Start by infusing your tequila with jalapeño. Slice the jalapeno, throw it into a jar with the tequila and let it steep for 20-30 minutes or until the drink has reached your desired level of spiciness. The longer it steeps, the spicier it will become.
As a sweetener, I used agave nectar (make sure it’s light not dark). If you don’t have agave nectar, you can just use plain sugar, honey or simple syrup (boil equal parts sugar and water on the cooker until the sugar is dissolved) . I prefer my margaritas a little tart, but feel free to add more agave according to your taste.
Don’t forget the chili salt rimmed glass! Rub a lime wedge around the edge of the glass, dip the rim in a salt/chili powder mixture and twist to coat.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
I’d love to hear what you think if you try this spicy grapefruit jalapeño margarita ! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram!
How To Make It: Spicy Grapefruit Jalapeño Margarita
For the margarita:
- 3 oz (90 ml) tequila
- 4 oz (120 ml) freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 oz (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or 4 teaspoons simple syrup more to taste
- 2 or 3 jalapeño slices
For the chili powder-salt mixture:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 lime wedge
- Small grapefruit wedges
- jalapeño slices
- Place the tequila in a jar or cup. Add in the jalapeño slices plus the seeds. Let it sit for 20- 30 minutes. Remove the jalapeños from the tequila once the desired spiciness is reached.
- Mix the chili powder and kosher salt on a small, rimmed plate and set aside.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glasses, dip the rims in the chili powder/salt mixture and twist to coat.
- Combine all the margarita ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until combined and then pour it into your prepared glasses.
- Add a grapefruit wedge, a few slice of jalapeño and serve.