Italian Hot Chocolate
When the weather starts getting cooler, I love to curl up with a big mug of homemade Italian hot chocolate.
Italian hot chocolate is thick, creamy, decadent and very rich, halfway between a drink and a spoon dessert. It has nothing to do with watery hot chocolate.
It comes together very quickly, taking only about five minutes to prepare using ingredients you probably already have on hand: milk, cocoa powder, sugar and potato starch ( or cornstarch).
The potato starch is the secret ingredient that makes the hot chocolate thick without affecting the flavor.
You can spices it up with some cinnamon, cayenne pepper, a touch of pure vanilla extract or a drop of your favorite liquor. Top it up with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, butterscotch chip, chocolate shavings, chopped hazelnuts, crushed candy canes, caramel syrup, etc.
I like to top mine with a huge amount of whipped cream or frozen whipped cream. When I have leftover whipped cream, I put it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Once frozen, I put the cubes in ziplock bags in the freezer. I love the way it melts slowly in the hot chocolate.
This drink will satisfy your craving for chocolate for only 116 calories per serving, which really isn’t that bad.
You simply must try this recipe. It is ten time better than any mix you can get in the store! Enjoy it!
How To Make It: Italian Hot Chocolate
- 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) milk (I used skimmed milk, feel free to use full fat)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar sifted
- 1 ½ tablespoon potato starch or cornstarch sifted
- Toppings (optionals): whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips
- Warm the milk in the microwave.
- In a medium saucepan, sift together the cocoa powder, sugar and potato starch (or cornstarch).
- Add 60 ml (1/4 cup) of milk and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Add the remaining milk and stir well.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and whisk constantly, for about 4-5 minutes or until the mixture starts to boil and it reaches the desired thickness.
- Remove from heat and pour into two mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and other desired toppings.