This low fat apple cake is super moist, flavorful and delicious! Plus, it’s really low in calories because there’s no butter or oil. Only 116 calories per slice… that means you can enjoy more of it!
Jam packed with juicy apples, which add both moisture and flavor, and subtly sweet, this cake makes for a delicious and healthy breakfast or snack simply sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Do you want to turn it into a decadent dessert? Serve it warm with a scoop of cinnamon or vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzled on top! YUM!
If you’re looking for something light, soft, with a tender crumb, give this low fat apple cake a go. You won’t be disappointed and it will be your new favorite in no time!
It’s a very easy recipe: the most tedious part is peeling and slicing the apples! But it’s well worth it. 🙂
You can toss the apple slices in a little lemon juice to keep them from oxidizing, but, since you’ll be baking them and they will brown in the oven, it’s not necessary.
I used Golden Delicious apples, but feel free to use any baking apple you like.
Just before baking, don’t forget to sprinkle some extra sugar on top… it will give them a nice, sweet crunch.
The recipe is adapted from the book “La buona cucina di casa” written by Simili sisters.
- Serving size: 97 g
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 1.0 g
- Trans fat: 0 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3 g
- Sugar: 15.6 g
- Sodium: 17 mg
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg
- 700 grams (1.54 lb) apples (Golden Delicious or Granny's Smith)
- 2 eggs
- 90 grams (⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon) light brown sugar (or granulated sugar)
- zest of 1 lemon, grated
- a pinch of salt
- 110 grams (1 cup minus 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 75 ml (¼ cup + 1 tablespoon) low-fat milk
- 12 grams (3 teaspoons) baking powder
- (optional): sugar to sprinkle on top and icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Grease and flour a 22 cm (8.5 inch) pan and set aside.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- Place the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and milk, and beat until well combined.
- Add two thirds of the apples to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
- Place the batter in the prepared pan.
- Arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the batter.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional).
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Dust the low fat apple cake with powdered sugar before serving.
- Enjoy it!