Italian Apple Cake
A few months ago, I came across this easy apple cake recipe on the blog “Anice e Cannella”. It looked so delicious, I knew I had to make it.
Sometimes you need a simple cake that can be thrown together at a moment’s notice with ingredients you already have in your pantry. This apple cake is just that.
There’s nothing overly fussy or complicated about this recipe and it’s super delicious.
The most time-consuming task is peeling and slicing the apples. Don’t forget to toss them with lemon to prevent browning.
This easy apple cake is amazing on its own or just with a dusting of powdered sugar. But let me tell you, it’s pretty close to heaven served warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s the kind of dessert I like to eat while I’m tucked under a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book.
It stays soft for several days and it also freezes well. I usually slice the cake and wrap each slice in cling film. In the morning I defrost it in the microwave for a couple of minutes….easy! :)
Once you smell the aroma of apples and cinnamon wafting through your kitchen, you’ll be dying to try a slice. Happy baking! I hope you enjoy it :)
How To Make It: Easy Apple Cake
- 1 ¾ cup minus 1 tablespoon (200 g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup + 1 ½ tablespoons (200 ml) cooking cream or full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons (16 g) baking powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil I used sunflower oil
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- granulated sugar
- powder sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C) . Butter and flour a 9-inch (22 cm) pan and set aside.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into thin slices. Place in a large mixing bowl and toss with lemon juice to avoid discoloration. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the oil, half of the cream, flour, baking powder, and mix well.
- Add the remaining cream and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Arrange the apples slices over the top of the batter in a circular pattern.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with sugar, cinnamon and dot with bits of butter here and there.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool before removing from the pan and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Enjoy your apple cake!