Vanilla Glazed Baked Donuts
Is there anything better than a warm glazed donut?
These vanilla glazed baked donuts are super simple to whip up. All you need is a couple of mixing bowls, a whisk and a donut pan. If you don’t own one, you need to get one ASAP. You can have fresh baked donuts in less than 20 minutes and are healthier than the fried ones. Plus they are so pretty, they will definitely bring a smile to your face!
I like to use a pastry bag to pour the batter into the donut pan but you can also use a spoon or ziplock bag. Cut a hole in one corner and pipe the batter into the pan. Be careful not to overfill the pan cavities or the holes in the middle will close up.
These donuts are dipped in a thick, decadent vanilla glaze and topped with sprinkles. The glaze is very easy, just powdered sugar, some milk, and a touch of vanilla. If you want to cut down on calories, you could omit the glaze. But why would you want to do that? ;)
Vanilla glazed baked donuts are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or to take along to any get together. They are best when eaten the same day but can be covered and stored at room temperature up to 2 days. You can freeze unglazed donuts for up to 2 months.
Vanilla Glazed Baked Donuts
For the donuts:
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (70 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup+1 ½ tablespoon (100 ml) skim milk feel free to use full fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the vanilla glaze:
- ½ cup (80 grams) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1 or 2 tablespoons milk
- Optional: food coloring and sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until no flour bits remain and all the ingredients are well combined. Try not to over-mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities or use a large ziplock bag. Cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cavity, filling 3 ∕ 4 of the way full.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the donuts onto a wire rack until cool enough to handle but still warm.
Make the glaze.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk, and whisk to combine. If the glaze is too thick, add additional milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add food coloring if you wish.
- Dip the warm donuts in the vanilla glaze, return to the wire rack, and immediately top with sprinkles. Allow glaze to set at room temperature for about 30 minutes before stacking or serving.
- Enjoy these delicious vanilla glazed baked donuts!