Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
What better way to start off the weekend than with bakery-style chocolate chip muffins?
This is a standard muffin recipe: combine your dry ingredients, combine your wet ingredients, and mix the two together until JUST combined. No mixer required, only a whisk, two bowls and a spatula or wooden spoon.
One thing that’s important to keep in mind when making muffins is to be careful not to over-mix the batter or you end up with a batch of hard and dense muffins.
To get the nice domes, fill the muffin pan all the way to the top, bake them for 5 minutes at 220 degrees C (425 degrees F) , then lower the temperature down. The initial burst of temperature causes the batter to rise resulting in those muffin domes.
I used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips because they disperse more evenly and you get some chocolate in every bite but you can use regular chocolate chips or chocolate chunks if you prefer.
Oil makes the muffins extra moist and tender. Don’t replace it with applesauce or bananas…
Store the bakery-style chocolate chip muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Muffins also freeze well. Wrap each muffin with clingfilm and then place them in a large freezer bag. They will keep for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter and reheat before serving.
Enjoy these fabulous muffins with your morning coffee and/or as an afternoon snack. They’re soft, fluffy, and packed with chocolate chips!
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 cups (360 g) all-purpose flour
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup+2 tablespoons (180 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- ½ cup minus 1 ½ tablespoon (100 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cup (260 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the milk, oil, vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix everything together with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin pans with the batter all the way to the top bake at 425°F (220°C) for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the bakery-style chocolate chip muffins cool for a few minutes before serving.