Shortbread Mug Lid Cookies
These delicious shortbread mug lid cookies will go perfectly with your tea, coffee or hot chocolate.
Shortbread cookies are very simple to make, you can prepare the dough ahead of time, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze it for up to 1 month. Another option is to cut out the shapes and freeze them, when you need the cookies, bake them from frozen.
I flavored the shorbread dough with lemon zest, feel free to replace it with vanilla, lavender, or whatever you prefer.
Mug lid cookies make the perfect gift – wrap them up with a pretty mug, and some tea bags cookies … Your family and friends will love it!
- Measure your mug and choose a round cookie cutter that is slightly bigger.
- The dough rest time is important otherwise your cookies will not keep the shape
- Don’t hold the cookies by the handle when you take them out from the oven. Wait until they are completely cool.
Shortbread mug lid cookies - very easy to make, wrap them up with a pretty mug and give them to friends and family as gifts!
- 250 grams (2 cups+1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
- 90 grams (3.2 ounces) butter cold and diced
- 85 grams (1/2 cup + ½ tablespoon) icing sugar powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- a pinch of salt
- 40 grams (1/4 cup) hazelnuts
- 40 grams (1.4 ounces) dark chocolate
- Place the butter and flour in a food processor and pulse until you have a sandy mixture.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the icing sugar, egg, lemon zest and salt.
- Mix the ingredients with your hands then turn the mixture onto a work surface and knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Wrap the dough with cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough about ½ cm (0.19 inches) thick and use a round cookie cutter to make the lids.
- Roll the remaining dough into small logs, 6 cm (2.5 inches) long and curve them. These are the handles on top of the lids.
- Place the lids on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and attach the handle in the middle of the cookie. Put a piece of rolled parchment paper underneath the handle and keep it there until the cookies are out of the oven.
- Chill the cookies for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (347 degrees F).
- Bake the shortbread mug lid cookies for 15 minutes or until lightly golden, remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Don't switch off the oven as you have to toast the hazelnuts.
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until the skins are mostly split and the nuts are light golden brown and fragrant (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and rub the hazelnuts until the loose skins come off.
- Let them cool completely and pulse in a food processor until chopped.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- With a small brush, spread the melted chocolate all around the side of the cookie then roll in the chop hazelnuts.
- Put the shortbread mug lid cookies on a wire rack to dry.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!