Whole Wheat Burger Buns
You will never buy whole wheat burger buns again after trying these!
These whole wheat burger buns are soft yet dense enough to hold up to a burger + toppings without falling apart. They are perfect for hamburgers, sliders, sandwiches, or just enjoy them plain as dinner rolls.
The dough is super quick to whip up but these buns they do require two rising times. The first rise is about 1 1/2 – 2 hours, the second one will take around 40 minutes, or until the buns are doubled in size.
Try to divide the dough into equal pieces so they will all be the same size. It’s really helpful to have a kitchen scale.
Brush the burger buns before baking with an egg wash and sprinkle them with sesame seeds or any other topping you prefer. The egg wash gives them a beautiful golden brown color.
These buns freeze really well. Make a double batch, it’s always handy to have them in the freezer for a quick meal.
If you try these whole wheat burger buns let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram!
How To Make It: Whole Wheat Burger Buns
- ½ cup (120 ml) lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups (240 g) bread flour
- 1⅓ cup (160 g) whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cups (160 ml) lukewarm milk I used skim milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten with water
- sesame seeds
- Dissolve the dry yeast in the lukewarm water. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Put the flours in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the water+yeast, sugar and milk.
- Start mixing then add the egg, olive oil, and salt.
- Keep kneading until the dough comes together into a soft yet slightly tacky dough (about 15 minutes).
- Make a ball and place it into a bowl covered with cling film. Let it rise until double in size (more or less 1 hour)
- Divide the dough into 9 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a tight ball and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise again until puffy and almost doubled, 40 min to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Brush the burger buns with the beaten egg and water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Serve the whole wheat burger buns immediately or store in a zip lock bag in the freezer for up to one month.
Dear Elena, thank you for this recipe! It’s absolutely amazing! It’s easy to make and the bread is soft and delicious! I’ll not be buying any more! Why buy when we can make such great buns! Thank you, Elena!
So glad you liked this recipe, Lynda! Thank you for the feedback! :)
Made these burger buns, using both brown bread flour and w/wheat.
They were absolutely superb and are now freezing a few!
Thank you so much!
Glad you liked this recipe, Beanie! :)
Hey! Amazing recipee. I just have one doubt. The calories mencioned aboved are per serving? (1 bun) or for thw whole 9 buns? Thanks for the great recipee!
Hi Catherine! Calories are for 1 bun
Absolutely delicious! We had them for breakfast and now for lunch. Thank you!
Happy to hear that! Thank you for the feedback! :)
I bake a lot of bread, but rolls for some reason are always fails for me. These have turned out great the two times I’ve made them I wont buy whole wheat buns ever again, thank you for the recipe.
Thank you for the feedback, Rachel! :)