Watermelon Lime Granita
Nothing screams summertime like this sweet, light and refreshing watermelon lime granita.
A granita is an Italian semi-frozen dessert that is very simple to make. You only need 3 ingredients: watermelon, lime juice and sugar. You puree everything in a blender then you freeze it and every 30 minutes you scrape with a fork to create those ice crystals.
You don’t need an ice cream maker or special equipments to make this frozen treat, just a metal pan as it keeps the mixture colder and at the right consistency.
Watermelon is in season now and it’s inexpensive. But how do you choose a good watermelon?
1. Lift it! – You want a watermelon that feels heavy and not light.
2. Check the yellow spot- There is a spot, it’s where the watermelon was resting on the ground. The spot should be creamy yellow color.
3. Knock and listen- It should have a deep hollow sound. If it is too ripe or underripe, it will have a dull sound.
Serve the watermelon lime granita in pretty glasses with a slice of watermelon and/or a wedge of lime.
Cool down this summer with a watermelon lime granita….And at 74 calories per serving, you just can’t beat it!
How To Make It: Watermelon Lime Granita
- 2 cups (300 g) cubed seedless watermelon
- 2½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- the juice of 1 lime
- Add the cubed watermelon, sugar and lime juice to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour it into a metal pan and freeze for about 3 hours.
- Stir and scrape with a fork every 30 minutes to break up the ice crystals.
- Spoon into glasses and garnish with a slice of watermelon or a wedge of lime.
- Enjoy your watermelon lime granita!
Refreshing for a summer snack or dessert!