Strawberry Eton Mess
This Strawberry Eton Mess is a quick and easy-to-make treat that features layers of soft and luscious whipped cream, juicy fresh strawberries, and crisp meringue cookies.
With its beautiful presentation and irresistible flavor, it’s the perfect summer dessert that can be whipped up in just 15 minutes.
Make the most of strawberry season with this irresistible Eton Mess recipe! If you’ve never heard of Eton Mess, it’s a traditional British dessert consisting of juicy fresh strawberries, crunchy melt-in-your-mouth meringues, and silky smooth whipped cream. Nothing fancy, but 100% delicious!!!
The best part? This dessert couldn’t be easier to make! It comes together in just 15 minutes and is perfect for entertaining or as a quick treat any day of the week.
And if you happen to have a surplus of strawberries, why not try making some baked strawberry donuts, an avocado strawberry smoothie , or a refreshing frozen strawberry lemonade?
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It comes together in no time with only a handful of simple ingredients.
- Ideal for spring and summer, when juicy strawberries are at their peak.
- It’s a no-bake, no-cook dessert, so you don’t have to heat up the kitchen on hot days.
- Each component can be made ahead of time and assembled just before serving, making it an excellent choice for entertaining.
Ingredients & easy swaps
- Strawberries: look for plump, bright red berries with fresh green leaves and no signs of mold. If fresh strawberries aren’t available, you can use frozen ones or substitute them with another type of fruit for a tasty variation.
- Cream: opt for heavy cream with a fat content of at least 35% for the perfect consistency. Remember to chill the cream, bowl, and whisk attachment before whipping. Avoid using canned whipped cream or cool whip. If you prefer a dairy-free version, you can use coconut cream as a substitute.
- Sweetener: I used granulated sugar to sweeten the strawberries, and powdered sugar for the whipped cream because it dissolves more easily. However, if you prefer natural sweeteners, you can substitute both sugars with honey or maple syrup.
- Meringue cookies: store-bought meringues work great in this recipe. You can choose any size of meringues, as they will be broken up. If you want to make your own meringues, it will require more time and effort. Just keep in mind that humid days can make meringue-making difficult, so check the weather forecast beforehand.
See the recipe card below for a detailed ingredient list and step-by-step instructions.
- Fruits: while strawberries are traditional, feel free to experiment with different combinations and find your favorite! Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, passion fruit, mango, and bananas all make delicious alternatives.
- Healthier version: for a lighter option, substitute half of the whipped cream with low-fat Greek yogurt. You’ll still enjoy a creamy and delightful dessert with fewer calories.
- Dairy-free option: if you are lactose intolerant or prefer to avoid dairy, replace regular whipped cream with coconut whipped cream.
- Make it vegan: use coconut cream instead of whipped cream and Aquafaba meringues, which are an egg-free alternative.
- Chocolate version: add some chocolate chips to the whipped cream.
How to make Eton Mess
Each of the dessert components can be prepared in advance.
Whipped cream: whip the cream a couple of hours ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend making it a day in advance, as it may lose its texture and deflate.
Strawberry sauce: make the strawberry sauce the day before and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The sauce will become even better as it sits.
Meringue cookies: prepare or buy the meringues a couple of days in advance and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Assemble the strawberry dessert just before serving, so the meringue stays crisp. Don’t worry; it takes just a couple of minutes to put it together!
Can I use Cool Whip instead of whipped cream?
While you can use Cool Whip, it won’t have the same light and fluffy texture as whipped cream.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can use whipped coconut cream instead of heavy cream and vegan meringue cookies instead of regular ones.
Can I make Eton Mess ahead of time and refrigerate it?
It’s best to assemble it just before serving to maintain the texture of the meringues. However, you can prepare the components in advance and store them separately.
More summer dessert recipes
Looking for more delicious dessert ideas? Check out our other recipes for inspiration!
Have you tried this easy dessert recipe yet? Did you make any modifications or put your own spin on it? Share your feedback with us in the comments below. We can’t wait to hear from you! And if you have any questions, we are always here to help!
How To Make It: Strawberry Eton Mess
For the strawberry sauce:
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh strawberries hulled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
For the whipped cream:
- 1½ cup (350 ml) heavy cream or whipping cream chilled
- 1½ tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the meringue layer:
- 2 oz. (56 g) store-bought meringue cookies crushed
- sliced strawberries
- meringue pieces
- Place ⅓ (150 g) of the strawberries in a medium bowl along with the lemon juice and sugar. Mash them with a fork or puree them in a blender. Roughly chop the remaining strawberries and add them to the bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Use an electric mixer with the whisk attachment to beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract on medium/high speed until soft peaks form.
- Crumble the meringue cookies into various-sized pieces.
- Layer the Eton Mess in four glasses by starting with a few spoonfuls of strawberry sauce, followed by the whipped cream and crushed meringues. Repeat the layering process until the glass is filled.
- Decorate with sliced strawberries and a few meringue pieces. Serve immediately.
- Meringues: I used 9 store-bought mini meringue shells, but feel free to make your own.
- Whipping cream: make sure to chill the cream, bowl, and whisk attachment before whipping. Choose a cream with a fat content of at least 35%.
- Strawberries: if fresh strawberries are not available, you can use frozen ones or substitute them with another type of fruit.
- Healthier version: for a lighter option, consider substituting half of the whipped cream with low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Dairy-free option: if you are lactose intolerant or prefer to avoid dairy, use coconut whipped cream instead of regular whipped cream.
- Make it vegan: use whipped coconut cream instead of heavy cream and vegan meringue cookies instead of regular ones.
- Make-ahead: you can prepare the whipped cream and strawberries a few hours ahead of time. Store them separately in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them.
This dessert could not have come at a better time. It’s summer, field organic strawberries are coming in. And what a fresh dessert idea. Thanks for sharing! ❤️
I may or may not have hid the last 2 of these in the back of my fridge behind the bottle of ranch and maple syrup from my husband. LOL These were scrumptious and SO EASY!!!
Long story short we had guests for lunch today and one friend brought homemade meringue cookies! There are lots left over so I know what I’ll be makng with them! So happy I found this recipe!
I love a good Eaton Mess, and this one looks amazing!! Pinned to make this weekend, thank you so much for sharing this recipe :)
I loved that this wasn’t an overly heavy dessert recipe. The flavors were fresh and creamy!
We decided to mix strawberries and blackberries. This will be a regular dessert for us with all kinds of fruits and variations. Maybe a light chocolate whipped cream too!
I love eton mess! So easy to make and this strawberry sauce was sensational!
I can’t stop myself from eating this dessert! It’s so good, creamy comforting, and addictive. Definitely perfect for summer weather
Simple ingredients come together in this eton mess to make the perfect summer dessert! Perfect for using up fresh strawberries.
This is super easy and your presentation is so tempting. Best to plan it for a kids party. Love the combination of strawberry, cream and Meringue cookies.
I made this recipe yesterday with store bought meringues. My guests loved it. Thank you!