Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’re looking for the perfect chocolate chip cookies, look no further. These ones are AMAZING….I mean, really amazing. Maybe the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever tasted.
When it comes to chocolate chip cookies everyone has their own preferences: thin/thick, chewy/crispy, dark chocolate chips/ milk chocolate chips. These chocolate chip cookies are what I consider to be perfect, slightly crispy around the edges, soft and chewy in the middle, not too cake-like, not too flat.
The recipe is adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, a beautiful book with a good selection of recipes.
Here are my tips for amazing chocolate chip cookies.
– The butter should be pliable. Remove it from the fridge, cut it into cubes and leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes. Don’t put it in the microwave, if you use butter that is too soft your cookies can end up greasy.
– All white sugar will give you crunchy cookies, all brown sugar chewy cookies. I prefer to use a combination of both, adjust it to suit your own preferences.
– The egg should be at room temperature. You can place it in a bowl of warm water for about 10 minutes before using it.
– Too much flour will keep the cookies from spreading, not enough flour and the cookies will spread too much. The dough should be thick, soft, and slightly sticky.
– Right before you put the cookies in the oven, place a few extra chocolate chips right on top of each cookie. This makes them look prettier! :)
– Don’t over-bake the cookies. Remove them from the oven as soon as they start to become slightly golden on the edges. They will firm up as they cool.
Ready to make a batch?
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3.9 oz. (110 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (85 g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (75 g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup minus 1 tablespoon (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (90 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl and electric mixer), cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until you have a thick, soft, and slightly sticky dough.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and beat on low speed until evenly dispersed.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 1 tablespoon of dough each and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Make sure that the cookies are spaced apart to allow for spreading while baking.
- Place a few extra chocolate chips right on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- The cookies will look very soft, they will continue to bake on the baking sheet.
- Leave them to cool slightly on the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cookies stay soft and fresh for 7 days at room temperature.