Easy and Healthy Pad Thai Zoodles
Pad Thai Zoodles – a quick, simple and healthy lunch or dinner that is on the table in just 20 minutes.
This recipe is a great low-carb version of Pad Thai. I used a combination of zucchini and carrot noodles instead of rice noodles and added bean sprouts, red peppers, egg, green onions, and cilantro. Those got sauteed with fresh garlic and ginger, tossed with the sauce and topped with chopped peanuts, cilantro, and lime juice.
To make the sauce I simply combined fish sauce, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and white wine vinegar. It’s easy and delicious. The sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.
Feel free to add sliced chicken breast, shrimp or tofu to make it a complete meal. Instead of peanuts, roasted cashews can be sprinkled on top for extra crunch.
If you don’t have a spiralizer you can make the zucchini noodles with a julienne peeler, a mandoline or use your regular vegetable peeler to shave the zucchini into ribbons. Spaghetti squash or sweet potato noodles would also work fine.
It’s important to have all the ingredients prepared and ready to go, as the cooking time is very quick …you don’t want to have to stop halfway through to chop or measure out ingredients.
I just love everything about this dish – the flavors, textures, and colors. So grab those chopsticks and enjoy it!
If you try these easy and healthy pad thai zoodles, I’d love to hear what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram!
How To Make It: Easy and Healthy Pad Thai Zoodles
For the sauce:
- 1½ tablespoons low-sodium fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the pad Thai:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil divided
- 3 medium zucchini spiralized
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 large carrot spiralized
- 1 red bell pepper finely sliced
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 cup (110 g) bean sprouts
- ¼ cup (15 g)+ more for garnishing fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons peanuts toasted and roughly chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a small bowl whisk all the sauce ingredients together. Set aside
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Don’t overcook them, they’ll get soggy.
- Remove the noodles from the pan and drain the excess water.
- Wipe the same pan to remove the water, and then re-heat the pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining oil, garlic and ginger. Sauté until fragrant then add the bell pepper, carrot, and green onions. Cook for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the egg and stir in with the vegetable until the egg is cooked.
- Put the zucchini noodles back into the same pan, then add the sauce. Cook for about 1 minute or until the zoodles are heated through.
- Stir in the bean sprouts and cilantro, toss and remove from heat.
- Serve the pad thai zoodles with roasted peanuts, cilantro, and lime wedges.
I love your blog, and have tried several recipes. I was wondering if there was a way to make this recipe vegetarian, or if it was already. Thanks!
Hi Alexa! I am so glad you like my recipes :)
To make it vegetarian, you can replace the fish sauce with this vegan fish sauce
Thanks so much! I am making this recipe again tonight! My family loves it!
I am so glad to hear that, Alexa! :)