Healthy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These Healthy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are perfect for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Ready in 15 minutes!
This is a simple recipe with the perfect combination of savory, spicy, tangy and sweet.
Start by making the sauce, whisking together all the sauce ingredients. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the minced chicken and break down any big lumps. When the chicken is cooked, add the cashews, stir in the sauce and cook for a couple of minutes. Spoon the mixture into lettuce cups and top with finely sliced carrots, cilantro and chopped cashews.
I used ground chicken, but you could either use ground turkey or beef. You could also throw in some chopped shiitake mushrooms, zucchini or any vegetable you prefer.
Boston or butter lettuce are my favorites. They have wide, sturdy leaves that hold a good amount of filling. Other options: iceberg or romaine lettuce.
The chicken filling can be prepared in advance and just reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave. Chicken lettuce wraps make awesome leftovers. If you are packing these up for lunch, make sure not to assemble them beforehand otherwise you will end up with soggy lettuce wraps.
If you’re into wraps, also be sure to check out our Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps!
How To Make It: Healthy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For the sauce:
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- the juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 lb. (450 g) ground lean chicken
- ¼ cup (40 g) lightly salted cashews coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 16 lettuce leaves for wrapping
- 1 carrot shredded or finely sliced(I used a spiralizer)
- cilantro finely chopped
- lightly salted cashews coarsely chopped
Prepare the sauce
- Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Cook the chicken
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and break down any big lumps. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned.
- Add the cashews and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, then add the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Stir in the green onions.
- Remove from heat and scoop the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves.Top with chopped cilantro, cashews, shredded carrots and serve.