Healthy Breakfast Bowl with Egg and Quinoa
Looking for healthy breakfast ideas? This Breakfast Bowl is definitely worth waking up for and will keep you full and satisfied until lunchtime! If you have cooked quinoa on hand, it comes together in about 10 minutes. Perfect for busy mornings!
If eating healthy ranks on your list of 2018 goals, then breakfast is the best place to start. Breakfast bowls are a great way to combine wholesome ingredients into one simple, nutritious, colorful, and tasty meal.
This nutrient-rich breakfast bowl includes:
– nutty quinoa
– juicy grape tomatoes
– creamy avocado
– sautéed mushrooms
– and a sunny-side-up egg.
The runny yolk doubles as a dressing to coat the quinoa, avocado adds creaminess and healthy unsaturated fats, while grape tomatoes lend freshness and a pop of color.
Breakfast bowls are super versatile. I like to top mine with a fried egg, but poached, hard-boiled or scrambled eggs would be equally delicious. For a vegan option, substitute eggs with tempeh or scrambled tofu.
If you aren’t a quinoa lover, serve it with brown rice, barley, farro, freekeh, wheat berries, couscous, or a slice of toast.
Do you have leftovers veggies in the fridge? Add them in. Collards, Brussels sprouts, chard, bok choy, mustard greens, baby spinach, kale, or arugula would be a nice addition.
What I love about the recipe is that you can prepare some of the ingredients ahead of time and you’ll be set for the week ahead. Cook your mushrooms and quinoa and keep them in the fridge. Then in the morning, heat them up, fry the egg, slice the avocado and grape tomatoes, and assemble the bowl. Done…simple as that!
Try this recipe and let us know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram. We’d love to see what you come up with!
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes? Check out my
More quinoa recipes
Healthy Breakfast Bowl
For the quinoa:
- ½ cup (95 g) uncooked tricolor quinoa
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
For the mushrooms:
- 3 oz (85 g) cremini mushrooms sliced
- ½ tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper
For the grape tomatoes:
- ½ cup (75 g) grape tomatoes halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
For the sunny-side-up eggs:
- 2 eggs
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ ripe avocado sliced
- chopped cilantro
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa with water and bring to a boil, uncovered. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork, season with salt and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, and salt. Place the halved grape tomatoes in a medium bowl and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Crack the eggs, 1 at a time, into the pan. Cover, and cook until the whites are set and, the yolk is still runny, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the quinoa, tomatoes, and mushrooms evenly between two bowls. Top with the eggs each and avocado slices. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 bowl