Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup – an easy, creamy, dairy free, and healthy fall recipe. Leftovers taste even better the next day.
This silky smooth roasted butternut squash soup is full of amazingly comforting and delicious flavors!
As the weather is slowly getting colder, soups are back on our tables.
Roasted butternut squash soup is healthy and super easy to prepare with only a few tasty ingredients. The first step is to roast the butternut squash and onion. Roasting the butternut squash brings out the sweetness and richness of the squash. Once this is done, it takes less than 10 minutes to finish it up.
I found the recipe on Donna Hay’s website but I tweaked it slightly. I left out the cream as I felt the soup was smooth and creamy enough on its own without adding unnecessary fat.
The measurement for the vegetable stock is an approximation, you can adjust it to your liking. If you prefer a thinner soup add more, less if you want a thicker consistency.
I topped the roasted butternut squash soup with a dollop of sour cream. Feel free to use different toppings: roasted squash seeds, toasted walnuts or pecans, a dash of cayenne pepper, a drizzle of maple syrup or croutons.
Enjoy it as a warming meal with a fresh baguette and a salad or as a lovely entrée to serve to your guests.
How To Make It: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 4.4 lbs.(2 Kg) whole butternut squash
- 1 brown onion
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon fresh nutmeg grated
- sour cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 428 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the pumpkin, cut side up, and the onion on a baking tray.
- Add a few sprigs of thyme, sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for 1 hour or until the butternut squash is softened and starting to brown.
- Scoop the pumpkin and onion from their skins and place in a blender.
- Add 240 ml (1 cup) of vegetable stock and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan, add the remaining vegetable stock, nutmeg, honey and cook over medium heat until the soup is heated through.
- Serve the roasted butternut squash soup with a dollop of sour cream.