Penne all’arrabbiata is a dish that belongs to the Roman cooking tradition.
“Arrabbiata” means angry, a name inspired by its hot, fiery taste. Arrabbiata sauce is really a basic tomato sauce with the addition of chili.
This recipe is very simple and quick, you probably have all the ingredients at hand.
It’s perfect for when you’re too tired and hungry to do anything other than throw some pasta in some boiling water, open up a can of peeled tomatoes, grate a bit of cheese and sink into the couch with a big bowl of penne all’arrabbiata and a glass of red wine.
The sauce cooks in practically the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta. It takes 25 minutes from start to finish.
Feel free to use as much peperoncino (chili) as you want, it depends if you prefer it milder or hotter. If you don’t have a fresh chili you can substitute it with chili pepper flakes.
The classic pasta used for arrabbiata sauce is ridged penne, the ridges help to hold the sauce.
Serve the penne all’arrabbiata with freshly grated Pecorino cheese (skip it for a vegan version) and chopped parsley.
Buon appetito! :)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh red chili finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 240 grams (1 can- 8.4 ounces) peeled canned tomatoes
- salt to taste
- 200 grams (7 ounces) ridged penne
- parsley finely chopped
- Pecorino cheese grated
- Chop the garlic and chili.
- Chop the canned peeled tomatoes or crash them with a fork.
- Over medium heat, warm the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the chopped garlic and chili and sauté for a couple of minutes or until the garlic becomes golden. Golden not burned!
- Then add the tomatoes, stir and season with salt.
- Simmer until reduced slightly, about 15/20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water. Follow your package cooking times.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce.
- Stir well and let it cook in the sauce for 1 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle the penne all’arrabbiata with parsley and give it a quick stir.
- Serve with a generous amount of grated Pecorino cheese.
- Enjoy it!