Chopped Asian Salad with Peanut Dressing
Kale and red cabbage mixed alongside carrots, bell peppers and edamame are tossed in a creamy peanut dressing and then topped with cashew nuts and sesame seeds. Downright delicious!
It’s a cheerful, light and healthy salad and it couldn’t be easier to throw together. The ingredients can easily be chopped and prepared ahead of time and mixed up just before serving. It also keeps for ages so if you don’t finish it all at dinner you can take the leftovers for lunch.
I used a food processor fitted with a shredding disk to chop the red cabbage and carrots. You can also use a mandolin or a sharp knife (mind your fingers!).
To shred the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, stack them on top of one another, roll them up and cut the roll into ribbons.
Despite all the wonderful veggies and toppings in this salad, the peanut dressing is my favorite part! It’s creamy with hints of garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, sriracha sauce and fresh lime. Simple ingredients,amazing flavor!!!
Seriously…look at the colors! Isn’t this chopped asian salad beautiful?
Asian Chopped Salad with Peanut Dressing
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ½ tablespoon agave or honey or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the salad:
- 250 grams (2 1/2 cups) shredded red cabbage
- 135 grams (2 cups) shredded kale
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow) thinly sliced
- 30 grams ( 1/2 cup) fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 155 grams (1 cup) frozen shelled edamame
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Prepare the dressing.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer the peanut dressing to a jar, cover and chill until ready to use.
- Defrost the edamame, shred and chop all the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, toss the red cabbage, kale, carrot, bell peppers, cilantro, green onion and edamame.
- Drizzle the chopped asian salad with the peanut dressing and toss gently.
- Top with cashew nuts and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.