Spring Pea and Mint Soup
This spring pea and mint soup is fresh, creamy, low in calories and healthy. With no added dairy, it’s vegan too.
The recipe is slightly adapted from Jamie Oliver’s cookbook “Ministry of food”. It’s one of my favorite cookbooks, I love the simplicity of the recipes.
This soup is very easy to whip up and it’s ready in 25 minutes: simmer, purée in a blender and serve. Be sure not to fill the blender more than halfway full or the soup will explode everywhere. You can even bend it in the pan with a hand blender.
I prefer to use frozen peas, they are readily available and require so much less work than shelling fresh peas. Of course if you wish, feel free to use fresh peas.
Garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a sprig of mint and serve the spring pea and mint soup alone, with a tasty sandwich or pair it with a nice salad.
We usually eat this soup warm, but it’s also delicious cold.
It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I hope you’ll enjoy it!
This spring pea and mint soup is fresh, creamy, low calories, healthy and vegan. Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver's cookbook
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½ clove garlic chopped
- 1 cube vegetable stock or 1 teaspoon homemade vegetable stock powder
- 780 ml (3 1/4 cup) water
- 400 grams (14 ounces) fresh or frozen peas
- a small bunch of fresh mint
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large pan on high heat with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add the chopped celery, onion and garlic and sautee for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Put the stock into a jug with the hot water. Stir until it's dissolved.
- Add the stock and peas to the vegetables (if you are using frozen peas there is no need to defrost them).
- Stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, put the lid on and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When the peas have softened, remove the pan from heat, season with salt and pepper and add the mint leaves.
- Using a blender (or hand blender) pulse the spring pea and mint soup until smooth.
- If serving cold, transfer the soup to the refrigerator to chill.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and enjoy it!
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!