Vegan Sweet Rolls
These vegan sweet rolls have been on my to-do list for months. While I am not vegan or vegetarian, I’m always on the lookout for healthier recipes.
Light and airy, you’d never know there was no dairy, no eggs and no butter. They are super-delicious, fluffy, soft and not overly sweet!
Let me tell you in advance, this is not a quick recipe. They are very easy to make, but the dough needs to rest three times. I kneaded the dough in the morning and baked them in the evening. The morning after a quick spin in the microwave recreated that fresh from the oven texture.
I sprinkled them with powered sugar but you can add dried fruit or chocolate chips. These vegan sweet rolls are great for tea-time snacks or breakfast.
The original recipe calls for butter but I opted for vegetable oil instead. I used vanilla sugar to add more flavor. You can make it at home, it’s very easy. Scrape out the seeds with a knife, and place the vanilla bean into your sugar container. The vanilla flavor will intensify over time and with the addition of more used beans. I also made my powdered sugar at home following this recipe
Recipe adapted from the blog Cucinando con mia sorella
These vegan sweet rolls are light, soft, and not overly sweet. You’d never know there was no dairy, no eggs and no butter.
Preparation time doesn't include rising time. Rising times are only an estimate
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) water
- 250 grams (2 cups+1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 60 grams (1/3 cup minus half tablespoon) vanilla sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 30 grams (3 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- Topping (optional): powdered sugar
- Dissolve the dry yeast in the water.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, put the flour, sugar, vanilla bean (scrape out the seeds with a knife) and water+yeast.
- Knead for 5 minutes then add the salt and oil, 1 teaspoon at a time (wait until each one is fully incorporated before adding another).
- Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Make a ball and place it into a bowl covered with cling film. Let it rise until double in size (it will take more or less 2 hours hours).
- Punch the dough down, cover with cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces of approximately 45 grams (1.6 ounces) each.
- Shape each piece into a tight ball and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Proof for about 1 1/2 hour or until the dough springs back very slowly when pressed with a fingertip.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and bake the vegan sweet rolls for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!