Vegan Sweet Rolls
These vegan sweet rolls have been on my to-do list for months. While I am not vegan or vegetarian, I’m always on the lookout for healthier recipes.
Light and airy, you’d never know there was no dairy, no eggs and no butter. They are super-delicious, fluffy, soft and not overly sweet!
Let me tell you in advance, this is not a quick recipe. They are very easy to make, but the dough needs to rest three times. I kneaded the dough in the morning and baked them in the evening. The morning after a quick spin in the microwave recreated that fresh from the oven texture.
I sprinkled them with powered sugar but you can add dried fruit or chocolate chips. These vegan sweet rolls are great for tea-time snacks or breakfast.
The original recipe calls for butter but I opted for vegetable oil instead. I used vanilla sugar to add more flavor. You can make it at home, it’s very easy. Scrape out the seeds with a knife, and place the vanilla bean into your sugar container. The vanilla flavor will intensify over time and with the addition of more used beans. I also made my powdered sugar at home following this recipe
Recipe adapted from the blog Cucinando con mia sorella
How To Make It: Vegan Sweet Rolls
- ½ cup (125 g) water
- 2 cups+1 tablespoon (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- ⅓ cup minus ½ tablespoon (60 g) vanilla sugar or granulated sugar
- ½ vanilla bean
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (30 g) vegetable oil
- Topping (optional): powdered sugar
- Dissolve the dry yeast in the water.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, put the flour, sugar, vanilla bean (scrape out the seeds with a knife) and water+yeast.
- Knead for 5 minutes then add the salt and oil, 1 teaspoon at a time (wait until each one is fully incorporated before adding another).
- Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Make a ball and place it into a bowl covered with cling film. Let it rise until double in size (it will take more or less 2 hours hours).
- Punch the dough down, cover with cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces of approximately 45 grams (1.6 ounces) each.
- Shape each piece into a tight ball and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Proof for about 1 1/2 hour or until the dough springs back very slowly when pressed with a fingertip.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and bake the vegan sweet rolls for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar on top.