Soft Sugar Cookies with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
These soft sugar cookies topped with peppermint cream cheese frosting and crushed candy canes are one of my favorite holiday cookies ever. You’re going to love them, they’re thick, chewy, buttery AND bursting with peppermint flavor …amazing!
They are not low in calories or healthy but you know what? Christmas is coming up and we are allowed to indulge 🙂
The peppermint cream cheese frosting compliments the sugar cookies perfectly and the tiny flecks of crushed candy canes add a festive color, crunch and a touch of sweetness. To easily crush candy canes, just place them in a zip lock bag, seal well and smash with a rolling pin.
If you don’t plan on eating the soft sugar cookies the same day you make them, store them (unfrosted) in a airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to a week. The frosting can also be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container for a few days.
What are your favorite cookies to bake during the holidays?
Buttery, thick, soft sugar cookies topped with a rich and smooth peppermint cream cheese frosting and crushed candy canes – perfect for the holidays!
- For the soft sugar cookies:
- 240 grams ( 2 cups) all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 170 grams (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- For the peppermint cream cheese frosting:
- 55 grams ( 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 115 grams (4 ounces) cream cheese at room temperature
- 400 grams (2 1/2 cups) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- candy canes crushed
- Prepare the cookies: preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, vanilla, peppermint extract and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Roll the dough into balls (about 1 tablespoon each), and place 5 cm (2 inches) apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked). Remove from the oven and allow the soft sugar cookies to cool on the baking sheet completely before frosting.
- Prepare the frosting: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment add the cream cheese, butter, and beat on high-speedy until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the peppermint extract, powdered sugar, and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Assemble the cookies: spread about 1 to 2 tablespoons of frosting on each cookie, and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!