Slow Cooker Italian Beef Stew
A couple of weeks ago I purchased my very first slow cooker and I decided to test it by making a hearty Italian beef stew.
The slow cooker makes this classic Italian beef stew very easy to pull together. Start by browning the beef cubes and sweating the celery, onion and carrot, then step away and let the slow cooker gently do its magic.
After 8 hours, the meat becomes meltingly tender and you will have an amazingly delicious, filling and tasty meal.
Browning the meat is not necessary so if you are short on time feel free to skip this step. But if you do, it will develop a deeper flavor that you just won’t get from adding all the ingredients at the same time.
If you don’t own a slow cooker, simmer the stew over low heat on the stove top for 2 1/2 hours.
Like any stew, this is one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day, so make a big batch and enjoy the leftovers the next day!
Serve the Italian beef stew with crusty bread and a glass of red wine.
After a long day at work, there’s nothing better than coming home to the enticing aroma of a delicious, slow-cooked dinner.
The slow cooker makes this Italian beef stew very easy to pull together. If you don't own a slow cooker, simmer the stew on the stove top
- 1 tablespoon flour
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of pepper
- 350 grams (12.3 ounces) beef cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1/2 glass red wine
- 400 grams (14 ounces) potatoes cut into large cubes
- 200 grams (7 ounces) peas fresh or frozen
- 400 grams (14 ounces/1 can) peeled canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Place the beef cubes in a large resealable bag, add the flour and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Seal the bag and toss well to evenly coat the meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion and saute until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat, add the remaining extra virgin olive oil and the beef cubes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef has browned, then pour the red wine and let it evaporate.
- In the meantime, crush the canned tomatoes with a fork or pulse in a food processor until smooth.
- When the wine has evaporated, transfer the browned meat to the slow cooker, add the potatoes, peas, tomato sauce, rosemary, bay leaves and salt.
- Stir, cover and cook on low heat for about 8 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves and rosemary, serve the Italian beef stew with some crusty bread and enjoy!
If you don't have a slow cooker: Place the beef cubes in a large resealable bag, add the flour and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Seal the bag and toss well to evenly coat the meat.Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, carrot, celery and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is golden.
Add the beef and once the beef has browned, pour the red wine and let it evaporate.
Add the bay leaves, tomato sauce (crash the canned tomatoes with a fork or pulse in a food processor until smooth) , salt, and about 3 glasses of water.
Cover, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 1 hour. Don't forget to check from time to time and add more water if needed.
Add the potatoes, enough water to cover the potatoes and simmer for 45 minutes
Add the peas and cook for another 20 minutes or until the water has evaporated.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!