Silken Tofu Chocolate Mousse
If you’ve never tried a silken tofu chocolate mousse before, this recipe will take you completely by surprise! It’s decadent, rich, velvety smooth, creamy, and unbelievably easy to whip up. You’ll never guess that this is vegan, gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free. Perfect as a light after dinner treat or as a healthy snack.
This indulgent dessert is made with just three ingredients: silken tofu, dark chocolate, and maple syrup. The tofu provides a smooth and creamy base, and the dark chocolate adds decadence as well as antioxidants. A little maple syrup gives a touch of natural sweetness that’s just right. Once the ingredients are blended together, pour the mixture into ramekins or glasses, and you’ll have a delicious chocolate mousse within a few minutes. Easy right?
Enjoy it immediately as a pudding, or for a firmer consistency, refrigerate the mousse for a few hours.
I have to admit, I was skeptical about using tofu in a dessert, but I was pleasantly surprised. It’s pretty much flavorless but it has the perfect consistency to use as a creamy alternative to dairy products. If you’re health-conscious, this mousse is a perfect option for when you’re craving something rich and satisfying. It’s so good that if you serve it to friends and family, no one will even realize that it’s so simple to make.
You can try different variations of this recipe by adding a few tablespoons of nut butter for a salty-sweet snack, or a dash of cinnamon or cayenne pepper. Also, get creative with toppings, the options are endless. Here are a few ideas: chocolate shavings, berries, chopped roasted nuts, shredded coconut, and/or a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Whether you enjoy it as is or add a few touches to make it your own, this chocolate mousse is so delicious and healthy, you’ll find yourself reaching for it every time you have a sweet tooth.
- Choose a good quality chocolate. I used dairy-free 70% dark chocolate, feel free to replace it with semi-sweet chocolate chips or any chocolate of your choice.
- As a sweeter, use maple syrup, agave nectar or honey if not vegan.
- Make sure that the silken tofu and melted chocolate are at room temperature.
Give this silken tofu chocolate mousse a try and let me know what you think. Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!
Silken Tofu Chocolate Mousse
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) roughly chopped dark chocolate (I used 70% dairy-free dark chocolate)
- 1 package (340 grams-12 ounces) organic silken tofu at room temperature, drained
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- chocolate shavings
- fresh mint
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, place the silken tofu and maple syrup in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Add the melted chocolate and blend until well combined.
- Scoop the mixture into 3 ramekins or glasses, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with chocolate shavings, raspberries, blackberries and a sprig of fresh mint.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days