Potato, Mushroom and Chestnut Soup
I’m not a big fan of cold weather, but I do love cold weather food. One of the things I most look forward to is a warm bowl of homemade soup.
This potato, mushroom and chestnut soup is hearty, simple, creamy and chunky. It kind of warms you up from inside out. I’ve got this wonderful recipe from Jule’s Kitchen and I think this may be the best soup I’ve ever made.
It’s not only satisfying and delicious but also easy to make, with just a few ingredients. I really love the simplicity and the delicate balance of autumn flavors that this soup has to offer.
I used cooked vacuum-packed chestnuts. However, if those are not available, cut a cross into the shells and boil the chestnuts for 5/10 minutes. Wait at least 2-3 minutes until the chestnuts are cool enough for you to handle and peel the shells and the skins off.
I used crimini instead of porcini mushrooms as, for whatever reason, they are not available here.
The soup reheats well. Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for a few days. Actually, as with most soups, it gets even better as it sits.
Serve the potato, mushroom and chestnut soup with chopped parsley, crumbled chestnuts and freshly ground back pepper.
I hope you all had a great Christmas, filled with awesome food and even better company!
This potato, mushroom and chestnut soup is hearty, simple, creamy and chunky. It has a delicate balance of autumn flavors
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 500 grams (1.10 lb) potatoes cut into small, even cubes
- 150 grams ( 5.3 oz) cremini mushrooms wiped clean and chopped
- 360 ml (1 1/2 cup) warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams (1.8 ounces) pre-cooked chestnuts crumbled
- To serve:
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crumbled chestnuts
- In a medium pan, sauté the onion with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the potatoes and mushrooms, stir and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Dissolve the salt in the warm water and add it to the pan.
- Cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for another 15/20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are soft and the soup thick and and creamy.
- Serve the potato, mushroom and chestnut soup topped with crumbled chestnuts, chopped parsley and freshly ground pepper.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!