Pasta with Butternut Squash and Kale Pesto
As much as I love pasta with a traditional tomato sauce, I’m always looking for new combinations to whip up. This pasta with butternut squash and kale pesto is filling and deliciously satisfying.
It’s a very simple dish to prepare. Cut up your butternut squash into small cubes, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. While the butternut squash is roasting, make the kale pesto and cook the pasta. Toss the pasta, squash, and pesto all together, top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and serve. Dinner is on the table in 30 minutes!
You can even roast the squash a day ahead and make the kale pesto a few days in advance and keep it in a covered container in the fridge.
The recipe is quite versatile and can be easily adapted to suit your personal preferences. I used wholewheat penne, choose your favorite pasta shape, replace the pine nuts with walnuts or pecans, add some protein to the dish (like chicken or chickpeas).
Next time you’re looking for dinner ideas, you should definitely give this pasta with butternut squash and kale pesto a try and let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram!
Pasta with butternut squash and kale pesto - A perfect hearty autumn meatless dish. This recipe is super easy and full of flavor!
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1.5 (1/2 inch) cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 160 grams (5.6 ounces) whole wheat pasta
- kale pesto
- 2 1/2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the butternut squash with olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper and spread into an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to package instructions.
- Prepare the kale pesto and set aside.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little cooking water.
- Toss the pasta with the kale pesto, pine nuts and butternut squash. Add some of the reserved water if necessary.
- Garnish with pine nuts and freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve.
You will only need 2 or 3 tablespoons of pesto. Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 1 week
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!