Mediterranean Warm Lentil Salad
This Mediterranean warm lentil salad is such a great combination of flavours. It’s tasty, filling, healthy, chock full of fiber and protein, naturally gluten-free and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Simply toss the lentils and onion with the dressing and chopped herbs, then top it with the roasted cherry tomatoes and torn fresh mozzarella. While the lentils are cooking, you can roast the tomatoes and soften the onion in vinegar.
To save time, cook the lentils and tomatoes in advance and store them in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the salad.
In this recipe I used green lentils, feel free to use your favorite ones or whatever you have on hand.
You could easily omit the mozzarella if you prefer a vegan option.
Eat this Mediterranean warm lentil salad as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish. It also tastes delicious cold straight out of the fridge or at room temperature, so you can prepare it ahead and pack it for lunch the next day.
Mediterranean warm lentil salad- a hearty, flavorful, vegetarian, healthy, naturally gluten-free salad that takes only 20 minutes to prepare
- 250 grams (1 1/4 cup) dried lentils
- For the roasted cherry tomatoes:
- 300 grams (10.6 ounces) cherry tomatoes
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- For the onion:
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- sea salt
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- You will also need:
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 100 grams ( 3.5 ounces) fresh mozzarella torn into chuncks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F). Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and cook the lentils according to package instructions.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet, arrange the thyme sprigs on top, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes are blistered and start to burst. Discard the thyme and allow the cherry tomatoes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile place the sliced onion in a medium bowl, pour over the vinegar, sprinkle with sea salt, stir and set aside for a few minutes to allow the onion to soften.
- Put the cooked lentils in a large bow, add the onion, drizzle the dressing, add the chopped herbs and stir to mix.
- Place the roasted cherry tomatoes and torn mozzarella on top and serve.
I used green lentils, feel free to use the one you prefer
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!