Lightened-Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
There is nothing quite as comforting on chilly nights as a big bowl of broccoli cheddar soup. It’s rich, hearty, creamy, thick, and absolutely delicious!
This is a lightened-up version yet still very tasty. Instead of adding cream to thicken the soup, I used potatoes. Potatoes give thickness without all the fat and calories of heavy cream.
The recipe is quick and simple and it takes just 30 minutes from start to finish. Sautée the onion and garlic, add the vegetable stock and potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Toss in the broccoli and cook until they start to soften, but are still bright green. Puree the soup until smooth, return it to the pot and stir in the cheddar cheese until it is completely melted.
You can either purée the soup with an immersion blender right in the pot or pour it in a blender. If using a normal blender make sure not to fill it more than half full and allow the steam to escape.
I prefer sharp cheddar cheese but you can certainly replace it with mild cheddar if you prefer. Freshly-grate the cheddar yourself from a block of cheese, the store-bought shredded cheese doesn’t have much flavor.
Serve this lighten-up broccoli cheddar soup with some crusty artisan bread, or alongside a green salad.
Pass me a spoon, please! 🙂
Broccoli cheddar soup: rich, hearty, creamy, and thick! This lightened-up version is made without cream or milk but it's still very tasty.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small white onion diced
- 960 ml (4 cups) vegetable stock low sodium
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 450 grams (1 lb) broccoli
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 100 grams(1 cup) + plus extra to garnish the soup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and sautee the onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the broccoli and cook until they start to soften but are still bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully blend until smooth using a blender, a food processor or an immersion blender.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cheddar cheese until it is completely melted
- Serve in bowls garnished with shredded cheddar.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!