Gnocchi alla Sorrentina
Gnocchi alla sorrentina (gnocchi Sorrento style) is a mouthwatering dish made with simple ingredients: gnocchi, tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil.
If you are not familiar with gnocchi, you don’t know what you are missing. I like to make them from scratch but, if you don’t have time, you can use store-bought gnocchi. Gnocchi freezes really well so I usually make a big batch. To cook frozen gnocchi, just drop them directly in the boiling water without defrosting.
It’s very important to use high quality ingredients. Make the sauce with good quality canned tomatoes. Look for brands that only contain tomatoes. The mozzarella has to be fresh. Don’t use the harder type, it won’t taste the same. Don’t use dried basil. If fresh is not available, omit it.
Gnocchi alla sorrentina come together quickly. It literally took 2o minute to whip up.
Start by cooking the gnocchi. They take next to nothing to cook, just wait until they float to the top of the pan and they are done! Then combine the gnocchi with tomato sauce and grated parmesan. Spoon them into individual baking dishes, top with fresh mozzarella and more parmesan, and pop into the oven for 5 minutes, just long enough to melt the mozzarella and make it perfectly gooey.
The result is pretty damn tasty! Believe me, you can never go wrong with gnocchi alla sorrentina :)
Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina
- 1.1 lbs (500 g) gnocchi
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can – 8.4 oz. (240 g) whole peeled canned tomatoes drained
- ⅓ cup (35 g) parmesan grated (Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano)
- 1 fresh mozzarella (125 grams- 4.4 ounces) drained and cut into small cubes
- fresh basil leaves
- Chop the mozzarella into small cubes.
- Prepare the tomato sauce.
- Place the peeled tomatoes in a food processor
- and pulse a few times until smooth.
- Put 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a medium pan and, when it’s hot, add the garlic. Cook the garlic until golden then remove it, add the pureed tomatoes and season with salt.
- Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, until it’s thickened. Add a few leaves of fresh basil and remove from heat.
- In the meanttime, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. When the water is boiling, add the gnocchi.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the gnocchi into a bowl as you see them rise to the surface of the pan. This is an indication that the gnocchi are cooked. (It only takes 2 minutes)
- Add the tomato sauce, 1/2 of the grated Parmesan cheese
- and mix gently with a spoon.
- Pour the gnocchi into individual oven dishes and top with the mozzarella cubes and the remaining grated cheese.
- Place in a very hot oven (250 degrees C/475 degrees F) for 5 minutes, just until the mozzarella has melted and the gnocchi are bubbling hot.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve the gnocchi alla sorrentina.