Easy Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Easy lemon crinkle cookies – perfectly tart and sweet, with just the right amount of lemon zest and lemon juice.
Slightly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, each crinkle cookie is packed with a delightful lemony flavor!
Lemon crinkle cookies are very easy to make. Once the cookie dough is all mixed up, let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. This step makes the sticky cookie dough easier to roll into balls and it also helps bake thicker cookies. Shape the chilled dough into small balls (about 1 tablespoon each) and roll them in granulated sugar and powdered sugar (the granulated sugar prevents the powdered sugar from being absorbed). While baking, the cookies will spread and create gorgeous cracks on top. They’re just so pretty!
Work the lemon zest into the sugar with the back of a spoon or with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. This method releases the natural oils of the zest and enhances the lemon flavor.
Crinkle cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to three months.
Once you taste one of these cookies, you’ll have a hard time resisting a second!
You can replace the butter with 3 tablespoons of mild olive oil.
- 80 grams (2.8 ounces) unsalted butter at room temperature
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 240 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- You will also need:
- powdered sugar icing sugar
- granulated sugar
- Work the lemon zest into the granulated sugar with the back of a spoon or with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and lemon sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and lemon juice and mix until smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. The cookie dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough tightly with clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F).
- Take the dough out from the fridge and roll it into balls (about 1 tablespoon each ball).
- Roll each ball in granulated sugar first and then in the powdered sugar.
- Place the lemon crinkle cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 8/10 minutes.
- Allow the lemon crinkle cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!