Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
If you have some overripe bananas in your fruit bowl and no clue what to do with them, I have the perfect recipe for you!
This easy banana chocolate chip bread is dense, moist and just sweet enough.
It’s a very simple recipe, you don’t need a fancy mixer, just a whisk and a wooden spoon or spatula. Whisk the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another, and then fold them together. In less than 10 minutes your banana bread will be in the oven!
With banana breads the rule is the riper and uglier the bananas, the better. Ripe bananas are sweeter and have a more intense flavor, they also make the bread super moist.
How amazing is chocolate and banana together? Such a great combo! If you don’t like chocolate chips (who doesn’t like chocolate chips?!?!?) you can even toss in chopped nuts or leave it plain.
Cover the bread with foil halfway through baking if it’s browning too much. Banana bread may look done on the outside while the center remains uncooked. To check if it’s cooked, when you insert a toothpick it should come out clean. If not, bake for another 5 minutes.
It keeps very well in an airtight container for a week or slice it, freeze it and pop it in the toaster/oven when you are ready to eat it.
This easy banana chocolate chip bread is perfect for a quick breakfast in the morning or an afternoon snack when you get the munchies. It’s so good and so simple that you’ll find yourself buying extra bananas so you can make it again.
This easy banana chocolate chip bread is dense, moist and just sweet enough. It's a very simple recipe, you don’t need a fancy mixer.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 160 grams (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 170 grams (6 ounces) Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium/large ripe bananas peeled and mashed (about 1 1/2 cup when mashed)
- 240 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C ( 350 degrees F). Spray a 23x8 cm (9x3 inch) loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, eggs, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the bananas and stir to incorporate.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips (keep 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips aside)
- and pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 mins/1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- If the bread starts to brown too much, cover with foil and continue to bake until cooked through.
- When the easy banana chocolate chip bread is done, allow to cool in the loaf pan for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
- Banana bread will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!