Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
An easy and creamy roasted tomato basil soup topped with golden grilled cheese croutons.
Juicy tomatoes and fresh basil come together in this simple, flavorful, filling, and creamy roasted tomato basil soup.
Preparation takes a little bit of time but the recipe is very easy and you only need 6 ingredients (plus salt and pepper). The extra step of roasting the tomatoes, onion and garlic in the oven gives the soup a terrific flavor boost.
I strained the tomato soup after blending it but you can totally skip this step if you have a high-powered blender (like Vitamix).
While perfectly tasty all on its own, grilled cheese and tomato soup are just meant to be together. Instead of serving the grilled cheese sandwiches on the side, cut them into square crouton-sized pieces. To keep it extra healthy and cut down on calories, serve the soup without the grilled cheese croutons, and garnish with a swirl of extra-virgin olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of chopped basil leaves.
Leftovers can be cooled and chilled for up to three days, or frozen for up to one month then defrosted and heated until piping hot.
If you try this creamy roasted tomato basil soup let me know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #aseasyasapplepie on Instagram!
Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- For the tomato basil soup:
- 2 ½ pounds (1.1 Kg) Roma tomatoes cut in half
- 1 small onion peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable stock low sodium
- 1 cup) (15 grams) fresh basil leaves + extra chopped basil for garnish
- For the grilled cheese croutons:
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1.5 ounces (40 grams) cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F).
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the onion slices and garlic on a smaller baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the tomatoes, onion and garlic with olive oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast the garlic and onions for 20 minutes, and the tomatoes for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and discard the tomato skins.
- Place the onion, garlic, tomatoes and any liquid there is in the baking sheet into a large pot. Add the vegetable stock, basil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully, place the soup in a blender, blend until smooth then strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Divide the soup evenly among 4 bowls, sprinkle with chopped basil, freshly cracked black pepper and top with the grilled cheese croutons.
- To make the croutons:
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over 2 slices of bread. Top with the remaining 2 slices of bread.
- Cook in a non-stick skillet over medium heat for a few minutes on each side or until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted. Cool just slightly then cut into squares.
- You can make these ahead of time and then pop them in the microwave to melt the cheese again.