Crazy Dough Tomato Zucchini Tart
You got 1 hour to spare? Whip up this crazy dough tomato zucchini tart for dinner!
There isn’t too much preparation, only a little bit of slicing and making the pastry. As I said, 1 hour from start to finish!
I love crazy dough, it’s simple to make, very versatile and so delicious. I have seen many recipes of crazy dough on Pinterest and Foodgwaker, but this one is different, it’s an Italian recipe (crazy dough translates to pasta matta) .You only need 4 ingredients to prepare it: flour, sparkling water, extra virgin olive and salt. Use it instead of pâte brisée for all your savory pie and tarts.
I filled my tart with zucchini, ripe plum tomatoes, fresh mint and freshly grated Parmesan cheese but you can throw in basically whatever you have in your fridge. I think it will taste great filled with hummus and topped with grilled peppers….I will try this version next time! 🙂
You can serve it warm or at room temperature. It makes a great meal on its own, it can be a side dish or appetizer.
Whether you choose to use my zucchini, tomato combination, or a mixture of your favorite veggies, this tart will not disappoint you!
* Use vegan parmesan cheese to make this tart suitable for vegans and vegetarian.
Only 4 ingredients to made the dough, no butter, no eggs. Suitable for vegetarian and vegans.
Recipe for a 26 cm (10 inch) round pan
- Crazy Dough:
- 250 grams (2 cups+ 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
- 135 grams (1/2 cup+1 tablespoon) sparkling water at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 Roma or plum tomatoes
- 3 zucchini
- fresh mint leaves
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Prepare the crazy dough: knead all the ingredients until you have a smooth and non sticky dough.
- Depending on the flour you are using, the amount of water that you need might change.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini and tomatoes. It's best to make the slices roughly the same thickness.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the crazy dough (not too thin).
- Place it in a 26 cm (10 inch) tart pan and carefully press the dough along the bottom and sides of the pan. With a rolling pin or with your fingers, press along the edge of the pan to remove the excess dough.
- Sprinkle the tart shell with parmesan cheese
- and start layering the tomato and zucchini slices in a circular pattern (if you use a round pan).
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven, top it with shaved parmesan and fresh mint leaves and serve.
© as easy as Apple Pie. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment or share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #aseasyasapplepie. We’d love to see what you come up with!