Are you trying to cut down on carbs and eat more veggies? Zucchini noodles are a healthier, low carb, gluten-free alternative to pasta.
To make zucchini noodles you can use a spiral slicer, a mandolin or a julienne peeler. Slice the zucchini just until you reach the seeds. A few seeds won’t matter, but you don’t want it to be too seedy or the noodles will fall apart.
I used a spiral slicer like this one (this is not an affiliate link). Just a couple of quick turns and in less than a minute you will have a plate of zoodles ( zucchini + noodles=zoodles).
If you use a mandolin, please be careful as the blades are very sharp.
Place the zoodles in a colander, toss them with a bit of salt and let them sit for 15 minutes. The salt will help reduce their moisture content so you don’t end up with soggy noodles.
I served the zucchini noodles with garlic shrimp, it was delicious! An easy, flavorful meal and it takes only 15 minutes to throw together. Do you prefer a vegan/vegetarian recipe? check this one 🙂
If you’ve never had zucchini noodles before, you’ve got to try them!
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 419 g
- Calories: 231
- Fat: 9.7 g
- Saturated fat: 1.1 g
- Trans fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 491 mg
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 26.8 g
- Cholesterol: 169 mg
- 6 zucchini, washed
- 450 grams (1 lb) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Using a spiral slicer, cut the zucchini into noodles and place them into a colander over a bowl or in the sink.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and toss to combine. Let the zucchini sit for 15 minutes while the salt extracts the moisture.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic, paprika, chili flakes,lemon juice, and shrimp in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the shrimp change color.
- Rinse the zucchini under running water to remove the salt and dry on paper towels.
- Add the zucchini noodles and parsley to the garlic shrimp, toss to coat and serve.