This green healthy salad is easy to prepare, filling, tasty and contains so many of my favorite ingredients.
Nutty quinoa, super powerful kale, crunchy walnuts and sweet peas come together in this vegan and gluten free one meal salad, full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fibers and protein.
I have been into chia seeds lately. Have you tried using them yet? If not, give them a try. They are full of good for you stuff. I add them to my salads, dressings, smoothies, cookies, muffins, granola bars,…everywhere!
If you like a sweeter dressing, adjust the agave nectar to your taste. You can replace the agave nectar with maple syrup or honey for non-vegan.
You have to remove the stems from the kale. Fold each leaf in half and use a knife to cut out the center stem.
Kale can be tough and bitter. Toss it into a bowl and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Massage the kale with your fingers to bring out the sweetness and make it more tender and digestible.
Make sure that you rinse the quinoa before cooking. The rinsing helps getting rid of the bitterness.
This green healthy salad is at the top of my favorites list! Enjoy!
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 265 g
- Calories: 476
- Fat: 23.7 g
- Saturated fat: 2.8 g
- Trans fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.1 g
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 91 mg
- Fiber: 10.9 g
- Protein: 15.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- For the salad
- 100 grams (1 cup) uncooked quinoa
- 200 ml (3/4 cup+1 tablespoon) water
- 200 grams (1⅓ cup) frozen peas
- 60 grams (1 cup) kale, center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 10 grams (1/3 cup) fresh mint, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (to massage the kale)
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) walnuts, roughly chopped
- For the dressing
- the juice of ½ lemon
- 1½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chia seed
- In a strainer, rinse the quinoa well and drain. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa with water.
- Bring to a boil uncovered. When it starts to boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is light and fluffy.
- While the quinoa is simmering away prepare the other ingredients for the green healthy salad.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then turn off the heat. Add the peas and leave them in the water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash, cut out the ribs and thinly slice the kale leaves.
- Put ½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the kale and use your hands to massage the leaves by lightly scrunching them in your hands. Release and repeat until the leaves soften and the color changes a bit.
- Finely chop the mint leaves.
- Prepare the dressing: take a small glass jar with a lid and combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, agave nectar, salt, pepper and chia seeds.
- Shake all ingredients until well-blended.
- Put the cooled quinoa in a large bowl, add the kale, peas, mint and walnuts.
- Pour the dressing over your green healthy salad just before serving.