This balsamic rainbow summer salad is perfect when it starts to get super hot outside. It’s fresh, crunchy, tart, sweet, and savory.
It tastes like summer in a bowl! I love how colorful, hearty and filling this salad is.
To make the balsamic rainbow summer salad I started with butter lettuce then I added the rest: sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado, basil, thyme, pecans and blackberries. I drizzled it with a balsamic vinaigrette and topped it with crumbled low fat feta cheese.
Feel free to use whatever nuts or berries you have on hand. I love pecans but you can use pistachios, walnuts, or almonds. You can substitute the blackberries with blueberries, raspberries or strawberries. I think peaches would work really nicely too. 🙂
This balsamic rainbow summer salad is so good and it can be pretty healthy as long as you don’t load it up with lots of feta cheese and too much dressing.
Next time you’re looking for a colorful salad, try this one. I can guarantee that it will be a crowd pleaser!
I’d love to hear your variations if you end up making this yourself!
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 277
- Calories: 454
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated fat: 2.8 g
- Trans fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.6 g
- Sugar: 11.6 g
- Sodium: 221 mg
- Fiber: 14.7 g
- Protein: 16.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- 1 head butter lettuce, chopped
- 200 grams (1¼ cup) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 140 grams (3/4 cup) canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 190 grams (1¼ cup) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 7 grams (1/2 cup) fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 110 grams (3/4 cup) fresh blackberries
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 50 grams (1/3 cup) fat free crumbled feta cheese
- Balsamic vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- the juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl combine the butter lettuce, chickpeas, corn, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, basil, thyme, blackberries and pecans.
- Take a small glass jar with a lid and combine the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper
- Shake all ingredients until well-blended.
- Once you are ready to serve the balsamic rainbow summer salad, pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Add the avocado and crumbled feta cheese and gently toss again.